Health Care Decision Day
National Healthcare Decisions Day is a day dedicated to encouraging individuals to think about and communicate their healthcare preferences in advance. Here are some tips to make the most of your healthcare decision planning
- Start the conversation: Take time to gather your thoughts and think about what matters to you, then talk to your loved ones and healthcare providers about your healthcare preferences. It can be a difficult topic to broach, but it’s important to have these conversations early to ensure that your wishes are respected.
- Put it in writing: Consider completing an advance directive or living will that outlines your healthcare preferences in detail. Make sure to provide copies to your healthcare providers and loved ones. This will help to ensure that everyone is on the same page with what your wishes are.
- Choose a healthcare proxy: Designate someone you trust to make healthcare decisions for you if you are unable to do so yourself. This can be a family member or close friend.
- Review your plan regularly: Review and update your healthcare plan regularly to ensure that it accurately reflects your current preferences. Changes in your health may require you to think of your current status and whether or not it should be amended.
- Educate others: Spread the word about the importance of advance care planning to your family, friends, and community. Encourage them to also start the conversation and plan ahead.
Remember, National Healthcare Decisions Day is just one day, but planning for your healthcare is an ongoing process. Take the time to think about your preferences and communicate them with your loved ones and healthcare providers. This will decrease the amount of stress for all involved. What is healthcare